Tattoo Pre/Post Instructions
Pre-Treatment for Tattoo Removal:
• Avoid sun exposure including tanning beds for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after the treatment.
• A numbing cream will be applied to the tattoo prior to removal. A cold compress can also be applied for 10-15 minutes prior to treatment. Be aware that there will be discomfort involved in the tattoo removal despite the use of numbing cream and/or cool compresses.
• Avoid pain medication such as Motrin, Aleve, and Aspirin (if ok with your physician) for 5 days prior to treatment to decrease chances of bruising.
• Be aware that tattoo removal is done with the Spectrum laser. It will take multiple treatments and a commitment to the process by you to remove the entire tattoo. Tattoo removal will be scheduled every 8 weeks and can take anywhere from 6 to 12 or more treatments to remove. Removal of the tattoo is dependent on the size, color of the ink, the location, the concentration of the ink, the age of the tattoo, and whether it was done in a professional tattoo parlor or by an amateur artist.
Post Treatment for Tattoo Removal:
• Avoid the sun including tanning beds for 2 weeks post tattoo removal. If exposed, wear sunscreen and reapply every 2 hours.
• You may experience minor discomfort, redness, and swelling to the area around the tattoo post treatment. The redness may last up to 48 hours. Once the redness is gone, the treated area will look similar to the way it did prior to the treatment.
• Immediately after the treatment, the tattoo may appear white in color. This change in color will subside quickly and the tattoo will look similar to the way it did prior to treatment.
• Pinpoint bleeding, blisters, or minor bruising may occur.
• Wash the treated area as normal. Cooler showers or baths may feel more comfortable immediately after.
• The body will absorb the shattered ink and excrete it over the following 8 weeks. Your follow up treatments should be approximately 8 weeks apart. This is not a process that can or should be rushed. It does take time and does require multiple treatments (12 or more at times).
• Post Treatment Regimen:
– Cleanse as normal (see above).
– Cover the tattoo with ointment (Ex. Aquaphor or Vaniply) as well as a gauze bandage or Band-Aid for the first 3-5 days or until blisters and surface appear to be healing.
– If the area becomes red or looks inflamed, you can apply Bactroban ointment which is bought over the counter.
- • Call your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns.
For more information on Tattoo Removal or to find out if this treatment is right for you, call The Aesthetic Boutique at 337.852.8995 or Request a Consultation!