Pre/Post Treatment Instructions
Laser Hair Removal
Pre-Treatment Laser Hair Removal:
• DO Not PLUCK! Prior to a laser hair removal treatment, clients must abstain from tweezing, waxing, or any other unwanted hair treatment that removes hair from its root. There must be hair in the hair follicle for laser hair removal to work. The laser is attracted to the melanin, or pigment, of the hair. The hair must be in its active growth phase.
• DO NOT TAN! You should avoid sun or tanning bed exposure for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to your laser hair removal treatment. Tanned skin has extra melanin, which attracts laser energy which may cause injury.
• DO NOT MOISTURIZE! The day of your laser hair removal treatment, avoid applying any lotion, sunscreen, perfume, deodorant, or other similar cosmetics to the surface of the skin.
• DO SHAVE! Shave the night before your laser hair removal treatment. Goal is to have a nice, close shave so that there is no hair outside of the skin.
• There may be some slight charring of the small amount of stubble that gets passed over by the laser. So, if you notice an odor of singed hair during the procedure that is normal.
Post-Treatment Laser Hair Removal:
• Immediately after the laser hair removal treatment, there may be mild redness and swelling at the treatment site. This swelling may last for 2 hours or longer. The redness may last up to 3 days. The treated area may feel like a mild sunburn. Apply ice packs or get packs (do not apply direct ice) for the first few hours after treatment as needed to reduce any discomfort or swelling. If redness or swelling persists, ice packs can be continued.
• Makeup may be used immediately after treatment unless there is blistering.
• Avoid sun exposure until the skin has returned back to its normal baseline without any swelling and/or redness.
• Wear sunscreen on the area being lasered if it will be exposed to direct sun.
• Avoid picking or scratching the laser-treated skin. Do not use any other hair removal treatment products or services including waxing, electrolysis, or tweezing as they may disturb the hair follicle in the treatment area.
•Wash the laser treated area and pat dry for 3 days after treatment. Do not scrub.
• It is ok to gently exfoliate after the 4th day of treatment.
• After the treatment and usually within the first 10 days, shedding of the surface hair may occur. This is not new hair growth; it is the shaft that was below the skin being expelled.
• There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the lasered skin gently, as if you had sunburn, especially during the first 24 hours. Cool or warm water may be more comfortable on the area than hot.
• On your next visit, please tell your healthcare provider if you had any blistering or any redness as well as how long it lasted after treatment. Please also report when significant hair growth was noticed in the area. This will allow the provider to customize your treatments to achieve the desired client results.
• Reminder, it can take between 6 to 12 sessions to completely suppress hair growth. After this time, laser maintenance begins and the laser hair removal treatment may be repeated as needed to keep the growth suppressed.
For more information on Laser Hair Treatment or to find out if this treatment is right for you, call The Aesthetic Boutique at 337.852.8995 or Request a Consultation.