Laser Vein/Cherry Angioma Pre/Post Op Instructions
Pre-Treatment for Laser Vein/Cherry Angioma:
- Discontinue medications and supplements that may thin your blood 5 days prior if ok with your physician to minimize risk of bruising and to improve the success of your treatment. These may include fish oil, flax seed oil, Vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, anti-inflammatory medications (ex. ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve), and red wine. Do NOT stop medications prescribed by your physician without your physician’s approval to do so.
- If laser is being done on your legs, bring a pair of shorts to wear during your treatment.
- If facial veins are being treated, there may be minor bruising and/or swelling following the treatment. This can typically be covered with makeup.
- If leg veins are being treated, there may be bruising, discoloration, and welting over the treatment sites. Larger veins may appear bruised for a period of time after treatment.
- If cherry angiomas are being treated, prepare to have moisturizing lotion on hand to keep them moist as they may itch during the healing process.
- Full results can take 8 weeks to months to be seen. Appointments will be scheduled 8 weeks apart to allow healing time and for results to evolve to completion.
- Avoid vigorous activity, hot tubs, saunas, and/or spas for at least 48 hours post treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure including tanning beds for a minimum of 2 weeks prior and after the procedure. Wear SPF 30+ for at least 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Appointments are usually scheduled in 15” intervals. Individualized treatment plans can be arranged with your provider for larger treatment areas.
Post Treatment for Laser Vein/Cherry Angioma:
- Avoid sun exposure including tanning beds for 2 weeks after the procedure. Wear SPF 30+ for at least 1 month after treatment on all treated areas.
- Cold compresses may be applied to reduce swelling and redness.
- Expect some redness and swelling, which may convert to a “cat scratch” scab for several weeks post procedure.
- Itching may occur as the scabs or areas are healing. Use a moisturizing lotion to keep moist.
- Treatment plan post procedure:
- Do not exercise for 3 days after treatment.
- Do not use alcohol, aspirin, Advil, or blood thinners for 5 days if ok by your physician.
- Do not take hot showers, baths, use hot tubs, or saunas for 5 days.
- Gently wash the area twice a day with tepid water and mild soap.
- Follow-up appointments will be scheduled after 8 weeks to allow appropriate healing time. At the end of the process, some vessels and cherry angiomas may be lighter or completely gone. Others may need additional treatments.
- Call your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns.