Pre/Post Treatment Instructions
- Schedule your procedure at least 3 weeks before a big event (wedding, meeting, etc.).
- It is ok to take Ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil about 1 hour before your appointment.
- Inform your practitioner if you have a history of difficulty swallowing, medication allergies, history of anaphylaxis, and any other medical problems.
- If you are a male, you should shave your neck the night before treatment (when administration will be into the chin area).
What to expect:
- Swelling, bruising, discomfort/pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area may occur for the first 7 to 14 days.
- Swelling can be significant in the first couple of days to a week. Clients can report that they look like a “bullfrog” with a lot of fluid in the skin under the chin. This is normal during this timeframe and resolves over time.
- Numbness is common for the first few weeks up to a month. Discomfort and tenderness to the touch is also common in that time frame.
- Results can be expected in 6-8 weeks once all swelling has resolved.
- It can take between 3 and 6 treatments to achieve the client’s desired results.
- Do NOT rub or massage the treated area.
- Men, do not shave the treated area for 48 hours due to numbness after the treatment.
- Gently cleanse the area twice daily with mild antibacterial soap (ex. Dial antibacterial).
- Avoid irritants (glycolics, acids, retinoids, etc.) until all redness and swelling have resolved.
- You may apply cool compresses/ice packs for 15 minutes a hour for comfort and to reduce swelling.
- Make-up may be used after 24 hours as long as the skin is not broken or irritated.
- Avoid the use of Aspirin, St. John’s Wart, and high doses of Vitamin E for one week as they may worsen any bruising. Take Ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil as needed for discomfort after the treatment.
- Avoid exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- Try to sleep propped upright for the first 48 hours to take pressure off of your neck.
- Do not have dental work including routine cleanings for 2 weeks after injection unless emergent.
- Notify The Aesthetic Boutique if you have any questions or concerns or if you see any signs of problems including severe pain, redness, swelling, bruising, signs of infection, blood supply compromise, trouble swallowing, uneven smile, trouble moving the mouth/chin, etc. Note: signs of blood supply compromise include: blanching or whitening/darkening/blackening of the skin, any unusual discoloration, pain, or skin break/sloughing. If signs occur after hours or on weekends, please report to the emergency room.
For more information on Kybella or to find out if this treatment is right for you, call The Aesthetic Boutique at 337.852.8995 or Request a Consultation.